Saturday, January 16, 2016

Break Your Alabaster Box

Luke tells us about a woman who was a sinner who brought an alabaster flask of perfume to where Jesus was reclining in the house of Simon the leper. While weeping, she broke the alabaster jar of perfume and poured it out on his head. She anointed him and kissed his feet repeatedly and affectionately. The perfume, spikenard, was reportedly to be very precious and expensive.  But so also was the flask it was contained in.  It was made of imported, handcrafted Alabaster. It was no doubt her most prized and treasured possession. However, I believe as she realized who 'He' was and knowing what 'she' was and had been, her heart was breaking in the presence of her Savior.

So Mary gave her all, all that she had, all that she was, and all she had been saving up for what she realized Jesus was giving her. He was forgiving her sins, was giving her back her dignity, and he was going to give to her eternal life.

I ask myself what alabaster box am I in possession of? What prized and precious thing am I holding onto instead of giving my all to Him? What dream, what vision of "perfect-me, perfect-life" am I holding onto instead of going all in, cutting my losses and forsaking all for the love of Christ? May we all bring our own  particular  'Alabaster Box' to Jesus, break them, and go all in!
Luke 7:37-38

No comments:

Post a Comment

He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not vs. Real Faith

I remember that childhood game we used to play with flowers. We would pull its petals going in tandem saying, “He loves me, he loves me not,...