Friday, May 13, 2022

He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not vs. Real Faith

I remember that childhood game we used to play with flowers. We would pull its petals going in tandem saying, “He loves me, he loves me not, he loves me, he loves me not.” With each petal pulled, resolving to leave our fate to the outcome of random chance.

That was a childish game but even more childlike is to pray that same way. At one moment we pray with belief, and the next we are in doubt. Our faith at times is like that flower game, “He loves me - the Lord, He loves me not.” Oh, but for the Grace of God! 

We are to always believe, always to pray, and always to give thanks. The Word says, “Without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him (Hebrews 11:6). Now that’s real faith. That’s mature and tried faith.  But wait, there’s more, the Word also says,  “Let him ask in faith with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord,” (James 1:6-7).

So, I decide that I will not have the, “He loves me, he loves me not,” kind of faith, but have that grounded and well established faith that comes from a heart surrendered in full assurance of the goodness of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not vs. Real Faith

I remember that childhood game we used to play with flowers. We would pull its petals going in tandem saying, “He loves me, he loves me not,...