Saturday, January 28, 2017

The Valley

In this blog I have talked about a lot of things. Some topics have been nice, some have been sweet, and all have been nicely wrapped up into a neat 'scriptural bow'. But actually and candidly speaking, I've been in a place of disarray that has been anything but tidy, spic or span. It's been bitter and felt gritty. May I explain? 

First let me say that I have found that when one writes a blog, column or a devotion you want to inspire, encourage and maybe even entertain your readers. You at least don't want to lose your audience. So you attempt to sound witty, be profound and always say something positive.  For example, when I have experienced a distressing event or felt depressed, I endeavored to talk about how I found a verse in the Word that brought light to my situation or how I received encouragement in an unlikely way and everyone lived happily ever after, as the saying goes. It's like I have been compelled to put a happy 'Facebook-ish' post in each blog and conclude with a warm and fuzzy Snapchat grin.

Not today my friends, there will be no "Don't you wanna be like me?", Instagram photos or stirring "This revolution will not be televised," epilogues here. No, because that has rarely been my reality and it's never that simple and answers to my prayers have seldom come quickly. 

So to keep it real – straight 100 - as the saying goes, and to be sincere, I've been in a valley. It has been the valley of decision and the valley of the shadow of death. Grief, depression and loss. Not so pretty words right? However, it is an honest appraisal of what I been going through. 

But you know what I have learned? If things had not been so bad I wouldn't have the appreciation of how good my God is. If I hadn't carried such a heavy burden I wouldn't cherish the lightness of His yoke. He's been doing the heavy lifting ya'll. And what I've also realized is that in the valley is where the rain falls and the water pools. It's where the washing occurs and it's where the meadow is most green.

Here is the path to the higher life: down, lower down! Just as water always seeks and fills the lowest place, so the moment God finds men abased and empty, His glory and power flow in to exalt and to bless.” 
― Andrew MurrayHumility


No comments:

Post a Comment

He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not vs. Real Faith

I remember that childhood game we used to play with flowers. We would pull its petals going in tandem saying, “He loves me, he loves me not,...