Saturday, April 30, 2016

God is a Consuming Fire


"Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our God is a consuming fire.”
Hebrews 12:28–29

I have been reading in a book called 'Come to Gilgal for the Circumcision of the Heart' by Dr. Purnell Hewing. In this book she talks about the believer and how we must allow the Holy Ghost to eliminate deep-rooted sins buried deep in the sin nature in order to cleanse the heart of sin (for we know it is written, "...out of the heart flow of the issues of life.")

So yes I am thankful and worship God because He indeed is a consuming fire but not only as I thought before. In my understanding then this consuming fire was something to be afraid of - to dread so "I better praise Him, or else!" But today this is not so. No, this is good thing and a joyous thing!

Now when I tremble its because of an overwhelming sense of awe and gratitude; my God truly is a consuming fire! He consumes my flesh and the dross with it. The dross of fear, insecurity, vanity, doubt and unbelief and burns it all off. Praise the Lord! My worship and thanksgiving to Him is for What He is and Who He is and what He can do and has done in my heart. Hallelujah!

Excerpted from "Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace in His Presence" by Sarah Young
"Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our “God is a consuming fire.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not vs. Real Faith

I remember that childhood game we used to play with flowers. We would pull its petals going in tandem saying, “He loves me, he loves me not,...